Thứ Ba, 22 tháng 3, 2011

Noise Texture in Photoshop

Noise Texture in Photoshop

Tags: ,
I wanted to switch it up this week to do a quick tip on how to create noise (grainy) textures with Photoshop to add subtle detail to your next project. A lot of times I feel that its the small and subtle details that really makes a project shine. Let’s get started.
Grainy Noise Texture in Photoshop Tutorial

1. Fill Base Layer

Create a new document and create a new layer. Fill the the new layer with the base color of your choice. In my example I used blue (#142e51) for my base color.
Noise Grainy Texture in Photoshop Tutorial

3. Create Noise Layer

Create a new layer and fill this layer with white (#ffffff). Then add your noise filter to this layer (Filter > Noise > Add Noise…).
Noise Grainy Texture in Photoshop Tutorial
You can set the amount to 25%. The higher you go, the more noisy it will get. I like to keep mine minimal and not too harsh.
Noise Grainy Texture in Photoshop Tutorial
You will notice when you add noise, there are many small pixalated colors scattered on your layer. To make this gray scale, you must adjust your noise layer saturation level (Layer > New Layer Adjustment > Hue/Saturation…) or short cut (Ctrl + U) on a PC.
Noise Texture Photoshop Tutorial
The window will popup to adjust your saturation. Turn the saturation level all the way down to -100.
Noise Texture Photoshop Tutorial

4. Blend

Now its time to blend the two layers together. You can do this by selecting the noise layer and experimenting with your blending mode. Since I used dark blue for my base color, I invert my noise layer (Image > Adjustments > Invert) first before I experiment with my blending mode.
Note* if you chose a light base color, you can simply change your blending mode to multiply and adjust your opacity settings to get the effect to your liking without inverting your layer.
Noise Texture Photoshop Tutorial
Once you inverted your noise layer, now go ahead and experiment with the blending mode. I chose the Linear Dodge mode with the opacity set to 45%.
Noise Texture Photoshop Tutorial

Final

Here is the final image. I would like to encourage you to experiment and have fun with this technique!
Noise Texture Photoshop Tutorial

Inspiration – Examples in the Real World

Billy Tamplin Grainy Texture
dconstruct Noise Texture Photoshop Tutorial
dribbble Noise Texture Photoshop Tutorial
hey indy Noise Texture Photoshop Tutorial
kenny meyers Noise Texture Photoshop Tutorial

Related Articles

Không có nhận xét nào:

Đăng nhận xét